Crashing when loading in .e57 dataset

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
ang12

Crashing when loading in .e57 dataset

Post by ang12 »

Hello

I'm trying to load in the Leica sample dataset: office-setting, the middle option at https://shop.leica-geosystems.com/blk36 ... -downloads
When I try to load it into CC, the scans are successfully loaded in, but crashes to desktop after a few seconds.

I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot this, so any help would be appreciated

Thanks
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Crashing when loading in .e57 dataset

Post by daniel »

I tested this on my side (with the latest 2.12.alpha version) and I was able to load the scans without any issue (CC was using 12 Gb of memory).

Maybe one thing you can try is to deactivate the LoD (Level of Details) mechanism.

For that, go to 'Display > Display settings' and uncheck the 'Decimate clouds over XXX points when moved'. That's just a random guess though ;)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
ang12

Post by ang12 »

Thanks for testing on your end.

I tried your suggestion to change the display decimation setting - Not sure if that made a difference.

In any case, I'm able to successfully load in a different point cloud with ~13M points, so it's now a backburner problem.

If I do run into issues with other data sets, do you have a recommendation for reducing the point cloud size if I can't load into CC without crashing?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Yes, you can try to subsample them via the command line (the SS command): https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... _line_mode
Daniel, CloudCompare admin