Canupo plug-in

For any question about plugins!
Paul L.

Canupo plug-in

Post by Paul L. »

Hi,

I'm new in CloudCompare and Canupo. I would like to know if it possible to classify differents elements with this plug-in ? Like building, conductor wire, ...? Or it's only for vegetation, water, rock ?

And it is possible to classify more than 2 classes at once ?

Thanks,

Paul.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Canupo plug-in

Post by daniel »

For the first question, we should wait for Dimitri Lague's answer (the author of CANUPO). But I believe the method is quite versatile and you should be able to classify a lot of things (the point is "how" to do this exactly ;).

Otherwise it's a binary classification method, so you can only generate 2 classes at a time. But you can use several classifiers one after the other so as to extract multiple classes. A single classifier will for instance classify 'vegetation'/'non vegetation'. So you can apply afterwards on the 'non vegetation' points, another classifier (e.g. 'power lines/non power lines'), etc.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Dimitri

Re: Canupo plug-in

Post by Dimitri »

HI Paul,

CANUPO is very generic so you can use it for many applications (as long as the features you want to detect are geometrically different). Canupo is for example excellent for wire detection. So far, from the various applications I know it has been used for:
TLS and mobile scanning data:
. vegetation removal
. wire detection
. pylones detection
. trunk vs leaves detection
. rockfall detection
. boulder detection
Airborne lidar:
. vegetation removal
. power line detection

And there might be other that I'm not aware of.
Now, I still have not written a proper tutorial for the CC version, but there are tutorials for the old command line version that will help you understand how this work

Dimitri