How to use/access 'GuessBestRadius' function in CC?

Feel free to ask any question here
Ohlaris

How to use/access 'GuessBestRadius' function in CC?

Post by Ohlaris »

Hello Daniel and everyone,

I have been searching for a way to compute the optimal radius, or the 'Local neighbourhood radius' in Cloudcompare for one of my point clouds so I can compute its geometrical features.

I came across the "GuessBestRadius()" described in the Octree class reference here https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/qCC_db ... ctree.html and it may be the solution to my query.
However, I could not find further information about how to use the function in CC.

I understand that some functions and plugins are only accessible when we compile CC. But I could not confirm from reading the compilation instructions here https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/ ... mpilation if the function "GuessBestRadius()" would be available upon successful compilation as it's not listed in the optional plug in list.

I have never compiled and worked with c++ so I would like to make sure I will indeed be able to use the function if I do manage to compile CC. Or is there another way???

The second question is, the number placed at 'Local neighbourhood radius' when we open the tool randomly assigned or is it at any degree related of the best radius tool perhaps?

Any help with this is appreciated!

Thanks!!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: How to use/access 'GuessBestRadius' function in CC?

Post by daniel »

So the C++ functions are never accessible via the GUI 'as is'. You need dialogs and widgets to set the parameters and internally call the C++ functions.

In your case, yes you can use an existing internal function to compute and then assign the result to a dialog field. However, this will require some programming skilss.

Last, there are several 'GuessBestRadius' or equivalent methods that will compute the best radius for various operations (but in different ways, depending on the need). In a lot of cases, it's simply a percentage of the bounding-box largest dimension, or of the bounding-box diagonal. So no, it's never a random number, just a very simple heuristic.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin