Tiff to Point cloud

Feel free to ask any question here
Caridman

Tiff to Point cloud

Post by Caridman »

Hi all,
I would like to convert some GeoTIFF images to point clouds. These are just tomography top-down slices from GPR data. I found a matched color palette and it seems to be working, but when I export this as LAS format, all point clouds seem to be in the same color. Additionally, I have one TIFF for a specific depth from 0.00 (ground level) up to 3m. How can I create a point cloud from this data in the most efficient way?
Thank you in advnce for all your help
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Tiff to Point cloud

Post by daniel »

So for the color, if you've simply used a color scale (associated to a scalar field), you'll have to convert to RGB if you want to save that in a LAS file (with 'Edit > Scalar fields > Convert to RGB')

And to load multiple slices with various heights you would have to call a (strange) command line where you load one slice, translate of a given quantity (being the space between 2 slices), load another slice, translate of the same quantity, and so on. With the latest version of CC, you can use a file to contain all the steps (as there might be a lot depending on the number of slices).

It would look like
CloudCompare -O slice1.tiff -APPLY_TRANS transform.txt -O slice2.tiff -APPLY_TRANS transform.txt -O slice3.tiff -APPLY_TRANS transform.txt ...

Where transform.txt simply contains a 4x4 matrix with only a translation along the right dimension:
1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 1 stepZ
0 0 0 1

Another option would be to use Python and one of the 2 Python wrappers for CloudCompare (CloudCompy or the CloudCompare Python Runtime).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin