Error window: OpenGL 2.1 needed - I have 4.6

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
3d-labor

Re: Error window: OpenGL 2.1 needed - I have 4.6

Post by 3d-labor »

Now I have uninstalled and reinstalled the NVIDIA driver, connected the 3rd screen directly to the graphics card (no switch) and added the cloudcompare.exe again to the NVIDIA system control for handling the OpenGL with the GPU. Nothing helps, same error "...at least OpenGL 2.1..."
Additional I tried the same on my render machine. It is a AMD Threadripper 2990WX, but only an old GTX 550 Ti (as it is only my rendering machine). Here I also configured cloudcompare.exe in the NVIDIA system control to use the GPU. In that case cloudcompare doesn´t even start with any error message. In this case OpnGL is Ver 1.1 with the latest possible driver (2019). So it would´nt work, but should´nt I get here an error message like "...at least OpenGL 2.1..." also?
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

Can you check that your opengl actually works, if yes then the issue inside cc, if not i suppose it is unrelated to CC.

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledg ... -000011375

What Os do you have exactly. And which driver?
3d-labor

Post by 3d-labor »

Open GL Extensions Viewer says:
OpenGL:
4.6.0 NVIDIA 551.61

Driver:
2-15-2024
Version 86.4.69.0.20

OS Windows 10 Pro 22H2

I tried also to install older versions of CloudCompare, all had the "The application needs OpenGL 2.1 at least" error
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

I was curious about if your os might be a "N" version without media pack.

With the driver, i meant to ask which branch are you using, studio/new feature branch.

Have you tried to launch any other app which known to use opengl? First one comes to my mind in this field is autodesk recap.
3d-labor

Post by 3d-labor »

Hello HeadLess,
this was the crucial clue: When I started ReCap I also has an error message regarding the graphics system. It was "Termianl Error Initializing Graphics System Code RE3102" Autodesk has a solution for this:
https://www.autodesk.de/support/technic ... ReCap.html

It says to delete the two Environment Variables:

Variable: QT_OPENGL - angle
Variable: QT_ANGLE_PLATFORM - d3d9 (in my case)

After doing that Recaps and also CloudCompare was starting without error!
In my memory the QT variables were set in connection with installing VRay some years ago. But also without these variables VRay is starting.
Thank you so much!