MacOS performance

Feel free to ask any question here
AlexK

MacOS performance

Post by AlexK »

Hi all,
I'm wondering if there's a way to tune the performance of CC on a Mac?
I see that it becomes fairly slow with some calculations - I recently noticed this when calculating larger Octrees or k-trees, I can barely use it anymore. And on the other hand, my Mac still seems really bored - I have an M1 Max with 64GB shared RAM and it's still using only 30GB of it (I see this on a tool I use).

Cheers
Alex
daniel
Site Admin

Re: MacOS performance

Post by daniel »

Which version are you using? We have many issues with the latest versions of CC (due to compilation / compatibility issues).

Have you tested the latest builds provided by Paul Rascle (see the link for the 2.13.beta macOS version).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

I'm using 2.12.3, as I couldn't import .laz files in the .13 beta (gave me some error about not being able to guess the file...)
And I haven't built it, I'm using the second build from the download page on https://cloudcompare.org/
petroben

Post by petroben »

Hi Alex,

I hear you on the performance challenges with CC on your Mac. Considering your robust M1 Max with ample RAM, it's surprising to hear about the slowdowns.

Have you explored adjusting the application's settings to utilize more resources? Check if there are preferences related to memory allocation or processing power within CC.

Additionally, keeping your software and macOS up to date might address any performance-related issues with the latest optimizations.

If the problem persists, reaching out to CC support or checking forums for Mac-specific performance tips could be beneficial.

Best of luck in optimizing your CC experience!
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

AlexK wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:36 am I'm using 2.12.3, as I couldn't import .laz files in the .13 beta (gave me some error about not being able to guess the file...)
And I haven't built it, I'm using the second build from the download page on https://cloudcompare.org/
Have you tried to use the File Opening dialog and explicitly set the type (you should have a drop down menu with all the supported types). I'd be really interested in knowing if this new version behaves properly.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin