Naming entity after original SHP or DXF / batch renaming

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
bat21

Naming entity after original SHP or DXF / batch renaming

Post by bat21 »

Hi Daniel and CC Devs,
I work with CloudCompare importing several polylines generated in QGIS. I use .SHP, as .DXF do not work for multipart features. And as they are multipart ones mostly, CC splits them into several polylines named Polyline #1, Polyline #2... etc.
As for instance this polylines are cadaster / parcel boundaries they have specific names in QGIS which are saved in shapefile let say as 'parcel_number' field.

I see it a useful feature to name each polyline keeping this specific name instead of #1, #2, etc. It would be super cool if while importing SHP/DXF one has the opportunity to define from which field of datatable the name is imported (as in case of CSV import).

And is there any quick way to 'script it' at the moment? I mean is there any code I could enter somewhere in CC to batch process the names of the already imported polyline features?

And another 'by the way' question - does CC allow to import multipart shapes as a single entity consisting of several polylines ora does it always split it into separate entities?

Best regards,
Marcin
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Naming entity after original SHP or DXF / batch renaming

Post by daniel »

I don't see a way to script that sadly.

And no, CC doesn't manage multi-part polylines itself. This is why it has to split them in multiple polylines.

Do you have an example file with the names in the DB? Can you send it to 'admin[at]cloudcompare.org'?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin