MacOS compatibility (M1)

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
dan_uhl_midi

MacOS compatibility (M1)

Post by dan_uhl_midi »

Hi Daniel, I'm wondering if its possible/feasible to make a global setting in CC that would ask it as default to use only 1 core on all operations. I'm on the M1 Max with 64 GB and have persistent freezing (not crashing) issues with a variety of tools. Even something simple like deleting layers within a project. I don't know if its something to do with the new mac chip and how that works, but I live in fear and save after most operations just in case (sometimes it freezes while saving, even to the SSD disk on the machine). There were a few tools (like M3C3 and Poisson mesh) that you added a choice of number of cores to use, and this completely eliminated crashing for those tools. I hope I explained myself well enough :-).

Thanks again for everything!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: MacOS compatibility (M1)

Post by daniel »

Hum, the issue might be bigger/deeper than that, since deleting layers is definitely not a multi-threaded operation... And it looks a bit random too.

I'm not a macOS expert, and I'm not the one packaging the macOS versions, so it will be hard for me to help. Can you/have you created a github issue about this?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
dan_uhl_midi

Re: MacOS compatibility (M1)

Post by dan_uhl_midi »

Hi Daniel, thanks for reply (and happy new year!) I will post on Github. I'm not sure if its my Mac. I have the feeling that its not my Mac per se (CC was fairly sluggish even when computer was new). Maybe there is some compatibility with the Mac chip. But I'm out of my depth on that. I just know CC can easily freeze during a variety of operations (will not recover even after hours, and for operations not that complicated). So I dunno. I do know, that when you added the ability to select number of cores used for Poisson reconstruction and M3C2 (which I use a lot) there have never been crashes or freezes. So I suspect that how CC uses the cores or how the Apple silicon works is perhaps where the challenge is. Anyways thanks for your help (Also great addition of the suffix editor for segmenting, this will save me so much time!)

Best,
Danny