Cloud Compare to Reality Capture

Feel free to ask any question here
jonalex

Cloud Compare to Reality Capture

Post by jonalex »

Has anyone complete a workflow from Cloud Compare to Reality Capture?

We are working with the EINScan HD Pro, which in turn uses EXScan Pro as it's capture software. Out of this software I can push out .ply, .asc, .stl and .objs, but these formats are not directly accepted by Reality Capture. Due to this, we decided to use CC as a intermediate point to generate the desired .E57 format that Reality Capture receives.

We followed this tutorial which is closest to my goal: https://support.capturingreality.com/hc ... unordered-

No luck.

any thoughts?
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Cloud Compare to Reality Capture

Post by daniel »

What is RealityCapture missing with E57 files exported by CC? The Indexed structure maybe?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
jonalex

Post by jonalex »

Not sure.

I don't see a way of generating this from EXScan Pro.

Can CC generate this?

After a deep dive in Reality Captures forum we found someone talking about camera info. That apparently RC needs to receive cameras info.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Yes, makes sense.

Sadly, even if we can manage camera sensors in CC, we are not able to fill all the pieces of information to describe a valid camera sensor in E57 files (we miss some parameters...).
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

silvermanphoto

Post by silvermanphoto »

Dear Daniel,

That Twitter post you mentioned is a little confusingly translated from Japanese, and I'm having trouble following along. Would you mind offering a little guidance?

Import unstructured point clouds into Realitycapture (1.2.1) using Cloudcompare (2.12.4).
(e.g. .pcd file)
・Delete normal, TLS, and Octree.
・Install TLS.
・Enter "non-zero" in Global shift/scale."Keep original position fixed" is checked.
・TLS must be 0,0,0.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well, I'm not the author of this post...

- you have to delete all normals (Edit > Normals > Clear), TLS sensor (look for 'sensor' child below the cloud in the DB) and octree (even though it shouldn't have any impact as octrees are never exported)
- I believe 'install TLS' means creating a TLS/GBL Sensor (Edit > Sensor > TLS/GBL > Create)
- "Enter "non-zero" in Global shift/scale."Keep original position fixed" is checked." --> that should probably be done first, when loading the cloud. This means that you have to shift the points in a local coordinate system (with small coordinates) and make sure the points will remain in this local coordinate system.
- "TLS must be 0,0,0" --> means that the created TLS/GBL sensor should use the default position/orientation
silvermanphoto

Post by silvermanphoto »

That worked! That little bit of coaching through Global Shift/Scale was just what I needed. Thanks, Daniel.
DesmoMito

Post by DesmoMito »

Hi there,
first of all thank you for the suggestions. I've found your information really useful. However, I have still problema in Reality Capture because when I import the ordered point cloud (following the procedure written here in the forum) I always see only the TOP view in RC and so just 1 lsp file is created. I was expecting that adding a TLS would create 6 lsp.

I hope you might help me to find a solution.

Thank you in advance,
Pasquale.
jukka.alander

Post by jukka.alander »

Hi, please check that the sensors you create are correctly placed; meaning they should be where the TLS sensor could have been if this location was scanned in reality. 0,0,0 is usually outside of the actual data, you need to create TLS sensor to a correct place, like inside the room space. Unfortunately, it wont work if you create sensor to 0,0,0 and move to correct location. Hope this helps!