Cannot open Projects when path contains umlauts.

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
Thomas_St

Re: Cannot open Projects when path contains umlauts.

Post by Thomas_St »

I double click on the file because I have bin-files associated with Cloudcompare. In older versions of CC this worked without problems. The problem started with the last version of CC. So something must have changed, right?
But now that I found a solution with manual activation of UTF8 encoding, the problem is solved for me.
Thomas_St

Post by Thomas_St »

Unfortunately, I found out today that the workaround I had found had caused a fatal error.
In our office we use a time tracking and order management software that stores the data in a SQL database. This software runs on the server and all clients fill the database located there.
Due to the change to Unicode UTF8 encoding, my client seems to have written an unwanted character into the database, which caused that no client in the whole network could access the database anymore. A backup had to be restored and the data from one tag was unfortunately completely gone. The workaround is to be enjoyed with extreme caution!

As for my problem. With a double click on the BIN file I can't open the project in Cloudcompare now, but I can if I select the same file via File / Open. So it seems to be a bug in Cloudcompare, because it worked fine in the previous alpha version (and before). Here the video to show the issue: https://youtu.be/zet5A84oWA4
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ok, so this led me to understand where the issue came from.

To manage any character in files opened by CloudCompare (french, german, japanese, chinese, russian, etc.) we had to force utf8 encoding internally. But this was preventing Qt from reading properly the application arguments (which are used when you double click on a file and ask Windows to open it with a program).

I fixed this (in v2.12.2). Stay tuned, as it should be released soon hopefully.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Thomas_St

Post by Thomas_St »

I am glad to hear that!
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

The 2.12.2 version for Windows is now online. Hopefully this should fix this issue.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Thomas_St

Post by Thomas_St »

Hello daniel,

i just tested the new version of CC and everything works (again) as it should!

Best regards
Thomas