How to read point data format 9 LAS files

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
epatton

How to read point data format 9 LAS files

Post by epatton »

Hi,

I am using CloudCompare 2.11.1 on Linux Mint 20.1, installed with snap 2.49.2, using kernel 5.8.0-50.

I am trying to import LAS files that are apparently point data format 9, which PDAL is unable to import:

Code: Select all

[12:01:22] PDAL exception: readers.las: Unsupported LAS input point format: 9
An error occurred while loading 'Op10_Run00': the third-party library in charge of saving/loading the file has failed to perform the operation
Is there any other way to import files of these type without first converting these LAS files to ASCII then importing to CloudCompare? I have a colleague who is using the same version of CloudCompare on a Windows 10 machine that said he could import the same LAS files by turning off the PDAL plugin and then importing. I tried that, but it doesn't work for me.

Any ideas?

~ Eric.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: How to read point data format 9 LAS files

Post by daniel »

Yes, the Windows version has a secondary LAS 'filter' based on LASlib. But I don't know if LASlib can compile on Linux.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
epatton

Post by epatton »

daniel wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:18 pm Yes, the Windows version has a secondary LAS 'filter' based on LASlib. But I don't know if LASlib can compile on Linux.
Thanks for your reply. I have installed LAStools on my Linux machine, but it seems there is no way to point to it so CloudCompare can use it; is that correct?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well, one has to compile CloudCompare with 'LASlib' (the library and header files). Not sure if it's part of lastools distribution.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin