Importing and processing Dense Cloud Data from Agisoft Photoscan

Feel free to ask any question here
Geronimo Röder

Importing and processing Dense Cloud Data from Agisoft Photoscan

Post by Geronimo Röder »

Good Evening!

I am a master student from Germany and i have a problem in importing Dense Point Clouds to CC which i created from UAV-Data in Agisoft Photoscan.
In Photoscan, the Cloud seems quite dense, almost like an Orthophoto. But imported in CC, it transforms itself in a kind of sparse raster-shaped cloud which is far more sparse than the original cloud seemed. This also influences the Quality of an processed Mesh for example, which shows a very bad quality, in contrast to the mesh from Photoscan. It seems like only a certain range of points is visible and used for processes- i already got through all display options and didn't find anything fitting.
Also, after re-importing a segment of the point cloud back to Photoscan, the rough raster-like shape stays.

Did somebody had a similar problem?

Best regards!
Geronimo
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Importing and processing Dense Cloud Data from Agisoft Photoscan

Post by daniel »

Has the point cloud large coordinates maybe? If yes have you accepted to apply the 'Global Shift' as suggested by CloudCompare?

What you describe looks a lot like accuracy loss because of large coordinates... Applying the 'Global shift' is only temporary and the original coordinates will be restored on output.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
matknaak

Post by matknaak »

Hi Geronimo & Daniel,

I agree with Daniel, it sounds like some decimal places might have been cut.

So coordinates will be restored after global shift and re-safe, but what I have been dying to ask Daniel for ages is, if you generate some new processed point cloud from the original, e. g. by applying a tool like subsampling, will this new point cloud also get the restored (shifted) coordinates, and if not, how can I simply achive this?

cheers

mat
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well, normally most of the algorithms should preserve the Global Shift information (if not then it's a bug - or there's a good reason).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin