creating mesh from 3D-scanned objects

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
rgotama

creating mesh from 3D-scanned objects

Post by rgotama »

Hi there,

I just downloaded cloudcompare yesterday from a recommendation to do my project. I don't really have a lot of idea how to use the software, but I am learning through YouTube and this forum.
I have a 3D scanner and I am trying to scan mangrove trees/forests and print a portion of it with a 3D scanner.
Based on what I've learned, I opened my point-based data, estimated the normal (though I have no clue what this means) using the PCL wrapper plugin (didn't change the search radius), and did Poisson reconstruction.
The result is something I didn't expect? I think because I scanned on the outdoors, there was a lot of noise in the data, but I don't know how to reduce/eliminate that (yet).

I have attached some pictures. I did the Poisson reconstruction with octree depth (don't what this means either) of 5 and 10.

Hopefully it's not too much trouble to help a newbie out. Any recommendations, advice or even links to tutorials regarding this topic would be very much appreciated.

Best,
Rinaldi
Attachments
poisson_10.jpg
poisson_10.jpg (670.82 KiB) Viewed 9353 times
poisson_5.jpg
poisson_5.jpg (855.05 KiB) Viewed 9353 times
normalized.jpg
normalized.jpg (902.7 KiB) Viewed 9395 times
Last edited by rgotama on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: creating mesh from 3D-scanned objects

Post by daniel »

Ah, mastering normals computation is definitely not trivial (especially if you don't now what it is ;). And it's even tougher with vegetation scans due to the leaves, etc.

Can you maybe send me a sample file so that I can see what can be done with your type of cloud/scene? (admin [at] cloudcompare .org)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin