[SOLVED]Compiling CC on debian stretch (9.6)

All about Linux portage
20cent

[SOLVED]Compiling CC on debian stretch (9.6)

Post by 20cent »

Hi CC users/devs!
I'm new to this forum dedicated to CloudCompare, and perhaps the first thing I would like to say is a huge thank you to the developer(s?) of this gorgeous piece of work! Together with MicMac photogrammetric suite, it provides a great set of tools to the world. And what a good recent news: qCanupo is now supposed to be available on GNU/linx platforms! thanks too for this very nice plugin.
Well, I tried to compile the latest git version of CC, but I fail...

I generate the compilation script via CMake, using c++ compiler.
My current version of CMake is 3.7.2
My current version of Qt5 is 5.7.1

CMake (well, cmake-gui) seems to run fine, displaying:

Code: Select all

Configuring done
Generating done
But later at the building stage, the process interrupts at 28% against the AsciiOpenDlg (ascii loading dialog utility I guess?), with the following error message:

[ 28%] Automatic moc for target QCC_IO_LIB
Generating moc source QCC_IO_LIB_automoc.dir/moc_AsciiOpenDlg_VJZRWOQXSEBFMS.cpp
moc: Cannot create /opt/cloudcompare/build/libs/qCC_io/QCC_IO_LIB_automoc.dir/moc_AsciiOpenDlg_VJZRWOQXSEBFMS.cpp
AUTOGEN: error: process for /opt/cloudcompare/build/libs/qCC_io/QCC_IO_LIB_automoc.dir/moc_AsciiOpenDlg_VJZRWOQXSEBFMS.cpp failed:
moc: Cannot create /opt/cloudcompare/build/libs/qCC_io/QCC_IO_LIB_automoc.dir/moc_AsciiOpenDlg_VJZRWOQXSEBFMS.cpp
I'm nearly ignorant of this compilation process, but I guess it's a Qt moc related issue, rather than a possible lacking dependancy. Am I wrong?

I would be glad to have any kind of clue to help me solve this issue,

Yours,
Vincent.
Last edited by 20cent on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Compiling CC on debian stretch (9.6)

Post by daniel »

Thanks!

Sadly I don't know anything about Linux but I think you are right, it looks like a Qt issue. Or simply an issue with access rights?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
20cent

Post by 20cent »

OK thank you Daniel for your reply.

If I get to find the solution, I'll post it here !

V.
20cent

Post by 20cent »

daniel wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:23 pm [...] Or simply an issue with access rights?
Hmmm, I neglected this point. And yet...
Don't know why I did it: last time I compiled the project, I did it with root privileges... i.e. some build/ subdirs silently remained after a "make clean" order. Stupid error. Properly cleaning the build directory straightly solved my issue.

So, sorry for the noise. Cloudcompare compiles nicely, and for the record qCanupo seems to compile fine as well (didn't yet test how it works but it appears in the plugins menu).

Cheers,
Vincent.
20cent

Re: [SOLVED]Compiling CC on debian stretch (9.6)

Post by 20cent »

After quite a long time, I'm starting again to work with CloudCompare.
On a fresh debian 10 (buster) box, I compiled CC from sources, pulled from github. It works well for the main application. Then I tried to get qCanupo working . Although compilation performs silently, I see the extension does not load at runtime. CC console outputs:

libQCANUPO_PLUGIN.so does not seem to be a valid plugin (/usr/local/lib/cloudcompare/plugins/libQCANUPO_PLUGIN.so: undefined symbol: USER_ERROR__inconsistent_build_configuration__see_dlib_faq_1_)
Can't figure out what could be wrong during compilation (against libdlib). It would be nice if we could have some basic information about required dependancies and/or cmake configuration to have things working.

Has anyone ever succeeded getting it to work on a GNU/linux environment?
Yours,
Vincent.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Is it part of the snap package?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
20cent

Post by 20cent »

Hello Daniel,

I initially did not wish to use the snap package, believing it would probably not contain the canupo plugin (given it was not oyet open-source at the time the snap was built). Anyhow, I just installed the snap package and I see it actually contains qcanupo: good point -;)

For the record, it would be nice if the snap maintainer could give us some advice about the plugin compilation.

Thank you for your reply,
Vincent.