ccPointCloud:Reserve Not Enough Memory

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
mjrsd

ccPointCloud:Reserve Not Enough Memory

Post by mjrsd »

Good morning,

We ran the subsampling spatial algorithm using command line mode over the weekend, but were presented with the error ccPointCloud: Reserve Not Enough Memory when the processing got to 44%. We were hoping to reduce the size of the point cloud model to allow import to Faro Scene, to then allow upload to WebShare Cloud.

The point cloud model was registered in Autodesk ReCap Pro from 217 Faro Focus S150 scans of ~41 million points each, thus potentially as much as 8.9 billion points total. It has then been exported to e57 file format from ReCap to allow further processing to occur. The scan is approx. 210GB in size, with approximately 600GB free space on the storage drive. No other applications were running at the time.

Firstly, does anyone know what the error we received may indicate? Secondly, any recommendations on means to apply subsampling?

Computer spec's below.
i7-7700k processor
32GB Non-ECC RAM
m.2 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD (boot)
2TB SATA 7.2k HDD (storage)
Quadro P4000
daniel
Site Admin

Re: ccPointCloud:Reserve Not Enough Memory

Post by daniel »

Hum, what can I say other than that 8.9 billion points is huge! And you have basically reached the limits of your system (if you reached 44% with only 32Gb of memory, I bet the system was already 'swapping' a lot and the process must have been terribly slow).

You should slice the model down in several chunks if possible (process groups of 50 scans?).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Getarq

Re: ccPointCloud:Reserve Not Enough Memory

Post by Getarq »

Import each file to faro scene independently, and then create a project point cloud!! you can do it for groups
For me, the project point cloud is the best way to reduce point cloud size! Eliminating dulicate points

Hummm I don't know if you can export e57 files for each scan in Recap!!
Diego Ramirez
Architect
www.getarq.com