Cloud Point showing up as a straight line

Feel free to ask any question here
LiDoom

Cloud Point showing up as a straight line

Post by LiDoom »

Hello,

For some reason when loading this point cloud file it shows up as a straight line, I can zoom in and out, but I don't see the full extent of the cloud.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (38.99 KiB) Viewed 349 times
PierreGEOSCAN3D

Re: Cloud Point showing up as a straight line

Post by PierreGEOSCAN3D »

Hello, I'm not exactly sure what type of files you are using, but to give you a hint, I have encountered this type of issue before with files where the X, Y, and Z columns were not properly aligned. Make sure that the XYZ coordinates are correctly pointing to the appropriate columns in the table.
DA523

Post by DA523 »

check xyz order during import
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Also, a classical issue is if the points are expressed in a 'geographical' coordinate system with X and Y being angles, and Z being in meters (i.e. with a totally different scale). CC expects all 3 dimensions to be the same.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
LiDoom

Post by LiDoom »

daniel wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:23 pm Also, a classical issue is if the points are expressed in a 'geographical' coordinate system with X and Y being angles, and Z being in meters (i.e. with a totally different scale). CC expects all 3 dimensions to be the same.
Thank you. How can I check or edit this upon import?
LiDoom

Post by LiDoom »

PierreGEOSCAN3D wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:08 pm Hello, I'm not exactly sure what type of files you are using, but to give you a hint, I have encountered this type of issue before with files where the X, Y, and Z columns were not properly aligned. Make sure that the XYZ coordinates are correctly pointing to the appropriate columns in the table.
This is a Mavik drone scan processed in MetaShape and extracted as a point cloud file.
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

Make sure that you are using global shift during opening, if cc revommends it. It might be caused by large coordinate precision loss.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

LiDoom wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 am
daniel wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:23 pm Also, a classical issue is if the points are expressed in a 'geographical' coordinate system with X and Y being angles, and Z being in meters (i.e. with a totally different scale). CC expects all 3 dimensions to be the same.
Thank you. How can I check or edit this upon import?
You'll see that right away by considering the scale/values in the X, Y and Z columns (angular values will be much smaller, and almost all the same)
LiDoom

Post by LiDoom »

HeadLess wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:46 pm Make sure that you are using global shift during opening, if cc revommends it. It might be caused by large coordinate precision loss.
here's what I see when importing. For some reason I don't have an issue when opening up this point cloud in Quick Terrain Modeler.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (24.09 KiB) Viewed 121 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

And what the bounding-box looks like once you've loaded the cloud?

There's good chances that Quick Terrain Modeler does manage properly geographic coordinate systems...