Command line save issues, no access right and third party library failure

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
gotdot

Command line save issues, no access right and third party library failure

Post by gotdot »

I am having an issue with saving in command line. I am getting the errors (An error occurred while saving ‘FILE NAME’: writing error (disk full/no access right?)) and (The third-party library in charge of saving/loading the file has failed to perform the operation.) I am trying to run the code:

CloudCompare -O "File name" -DELAUNAY -MAX_EDGE_LENGTH 5 -SAMPLE_MESH DENSITY 1000 -RASTERIZE -GRID_STEP .2 -OUTPUT_RASTER_Z

When I let the program run with auto save, I get the no access right error. I’ve tried turning off auto save and letting it run, but my computer does not have enough memory for the output at the end after performing the other processes. I have even tried reducing the sample mesh density and clearing the original cloud and mesh but it still won’t output. So I need to separate it into two steps, which means I need to save the point cloud that is created by the sample mesh so I can perform the rasterize in the second step. I tried to manually save in the command line without the autosave using the code:

CloudCompare –C_EXPORT_FMT PCD –AUTO_SAVE OFF -O "File name" -DELAUNAY -MAX_EDGE_LENGTH 5 -SAMPLE_MESH DENSITY 200 –SAVE_CLOUDS

This gives me the third-party library failure error. Is there a fix for this or any way around it? I can perform the process in the CloudCompare program itself, the issue only happens in command line. Also, is there a command to smooth the mesh in command line? I couldn’t find one in the command line wiki.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Command line save issues, no access right and third party library failure

Post by daniel »

What's "file name" in effect? In some cases, if the path is too long or if it contains non standard characters, some 3rd party libraries will fail creating the file.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
gotdot

Post by gotdot »

The name of the file was racetrack_2020-01-11-15-46-59.pcd. I tried shortening it to racetrack.pcd and still got the third-party library save error. It attempted to save the sampled point cloud as ./racetrack_SAMPLED_POINTS_2020-07-20_12h00_17_852.pcd but failed.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Do you have any other message of interest in the command line console?
gotdot

Post by gotdot »

No. Only what I have already said.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Then can you send me the cloud and the exact command line you used? (admin [at] cloudcompare.org)
leceta

Post by leceta »

Hi, same problem here. has been the "access right" problem solved?
i'm using python to launch command line methods. When "auto saving" no problem, but when trying to explicitly save a cloud, it raises the error in the image.
any guidance would be apreciated.
thanks
Attachments
2021-08-27_12-41-32.png
2021-08-27_12-41-32.png (31.45 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Which version are you using? And is there any special character in the path?
leceta

Post by leceta »

Hi Daniel, thanks for your attention.
I'm using version 2.12 alpha 64bit
Anyway, It was my bad. Once I passed the whole filepath (instead of just filename which was directing to working path a C:/) it worked as expected.
thanks for this tool
Attachments
2021-08-30_10-31-12.png
2021-08-30_10-31-12.png (6.88 KiB) Viewed 4709 times
leticiaferrari

Post by leticiaferrari »

Hi! I had the same problem. I solve it changing the file name and path, which cannot have special caracteres.