Skipping images when using the command line

Feel free to ask any question here
Darius_bd

Skipping images when using the command line

Post by Darius_bd »

Hi Daniel!

I wonder if it's possible to skip loading of images when using CC via the command line? When opening certain pointclouds I feel like images is what makes the process run out of memory.
HeadLess

Re: Skipping images when using the command line

Post by HeadLess »

well maybe it is just a correlation not the actual cause.

clouds with images usually not decimated/structured clouds, and they contains all the points. So you quickly increase the point count. for example 1 setup can contain easily 40 million point (600mb-700mb e57). So probably you reach your limits with only 50 file you can reach 2 billion points. and that requires a bunch of ram to load.

So if your goal is to merge them, then probably better to subsample before even trying to merge. with the command file, select_entities command you can probably create a single chain of commands to reach your end goal.

You can pretty easily purge a lot of points just by applying a 0.002 m spatial decimation (2mm), because bunch of the points in a tls device comes from close to the scanner.
Darius_bd

Post by Darius_bd »

I'm thinking scans coming from the VLX scanner.

I'm trying to open a pointcloud with 1.000 MPs. I have 48GB of RAM. When I'm opening with the CC client, I can stop the process of loading images and I can work with the pointcloud. If I do the same with the command line without UI, the app crashes when trying to open like image number 500. Since I won't work with the images I wonder if they can be skipped and not load in memory.
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

Darius_bd wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:27 pm .
I'm thinking scans coming from the VLX scanner.

I'm trying to open a pointcloud with 1.000 MPs. I have 48GB of RAM. When I'm opening with the CC client, I can stop the process of loading images and I can work with the pointcloud. If I do the same with the command line without UI, the app crashes when trying to open like image number 500. Since I won't work with the images I wonder if they can be skipped and not load in memory.
Well in this case probably you can use an oldel version where he image loading were not implemented, or you can preprocess your cloud with other tools (pdal) has a very good cli option, but there are easier ones like you could just convert everything to laz with lastools.

Or probably you could try to download other format from ivion?
Darius_bd

Post by Darius_bd »

Thanks, I will check those options.

Do you know by chance which old version of CC doesn't deal with images coming from an E57?
Darius_bd

Post by Darius_bd »

Just to confirm, is it currently possible Daniel?
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

No there is no way currently to pass params to the loader other than what is already in the wiki.

I don't really know which does not support them but , i think it should be before 2.12
Darius_bd

Post by Darius_bd »

Understood, many thanks HeadLess!