How to Maintain Geolocation Through Mesh Conversion

Feel free to ask any question here
mike333

How to Maintain Geolocation Through Mesh Conversion

Post by mike333 »

I have a point cloud that is located in real world survey coordinates. I need to convert this point cloud into a mesh, but I can't figure out how to maintain the real world coordinates through the mesh conversion. Is there a way to maintain the coordinates so that the mesh will land back at the correct place when imported into Navisworks or Autocad?
daniel
Site Admin

Re: How to Maintain Geolocation Through Mesh Conversion

Post by daniel »

So by default CC should preserve the geolocation information (Global Shift).

But whether the output mesh format will support large coordinates is another story. Which format are you exporting your mesh to?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
mike333

Post by mike333 »

I am starting out with a RCP in Recap, and then exporting e57 or pts, then opening e57 or pts with CloudCompare. After creating the mesh, then I'm attempting to save as obj.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Which version of CloudCompare are you using? At least the latest 2.13.beta version is able to export OBJ files with large coordinates.

Another think to check is that when you load the E57 or PTS files, make sure to accept the Global Shift. Then when you generate the mesh, make sure the generated entity has the same 'Global Shift' as the cloud (it's visible in the entity properties on the bottom left side).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin