Opening ply ascii .csv or .txt

Feel free to ask any question here
klemenman

Opening ply ascii .csv or .txt

Post by klemenman »

Hello,
I am kindly asking for help. I'm trying to import ply file saved as .csv or .txt.
Header of the ascii format looks like:
ply
format ascii 1
comment VCGLIB generated
element vertex 153001
property float x
property float y
property float z
property uchar red
property uchar green
property uchar blue
property uchar alpha
property float quality
element face 302942
property list uchar int vertex_indices
end_header

After applying all the attributes from the Open Ascii FIle information window, CC imports only point cloud/vertices without Mesh faces. In order to visualise the 3D model with given RGB values, I have to reconstruct the surface. On contrary, if the same file is imported directly as .ply format, CC opens both, vertices and Mesh.
Is there anything I could change in the Open Ascii FIle information window that would open .csv or .txt file directly as a Mesh?

Thank you!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Opening ply ascii .csv or .txt

Post by daniel »

Even if the file is in the 'PLY ascii' format, it should be loaded as a PLY file, not an ASCII/TEXT format (which is a different file format, much simpler, without any header).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
klemenman

Post by klemenman »

Thank you. Yes, I am aware of that. The thing is that I am adjusting the RGB data depending on the values of the scalar fields thresholds in Excel (I am using and combining different local curvature parameters, which are not supported by CC). Is there any way to convert .csv, .xlsx or .txt back to .ply before importing into CC?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Oh, so you are looking for an external tool? I don't know any, but maybe some other people do.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin