Faulting module path Qt5Gui.dll when opening

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
frenchsr

Faulting module path Qt5Gui.dll when opening

Post by frenchsr »

Trying to install the latest stable version and am unable to get the program to launch. When looking at event viewer get faulting module path c:\program files\cloudcompare\Qt5Gui.dll. I found a similar post from 2018 commenting the graphics driver may be at fault but no noted answer. I reinstalled the program, tried the new alpha, and the 2 versions before this with the same error. Each install attempt had no other cloudcompare version running at the same time to make sure there werent version conflicts. The 2.12.4 works well on 2 of our other machines so the version is certainly stable. We are running a workstation with an Nvidia 3090Ti and an AMD threadripper 5975wx (this is our only machine with this configuration) . I have resinstalled the gpu driver, reinstalled it cleanly, and run sfc /scannow in case of other issues. Run recent windows updates and reinstalled the c++ 2015-2022 that was recommended in these forums as well for other dll errors. Running as, or installing as admin, doesnt change it either. Thanks for any other ideas to try before maybe reloading the machine.
Attachments
event viewer error log
event viewer error log
cloudcompare.jpg (127.1 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Faulting module path Qt5Gui.dll when opening

Post by daniel »

Hard to tell... Since it crashes in GtGUI.dll, it's definitely related to the display. And of course a good culprit would be the graphic card driver (even though it's not common to have issues with a 30XX card). Anyway, have you tried to update the GPU driver (either upgrading or downgrading it?)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
frenchsr

Post by frenchsr »

I tried to update it (via the nvidia site) with the express install nvidia does and the clean install. I just tried to rollback to a version from early November 2022 with your suggestion (appreciate the suggestion by the way). It failed to run. I reinstalled cloudcompare after that and seeing the same errors.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

That's a very strange error...

You could try to remove all keys in the registry (remove the whole 'Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\CCCorp\CloudCompare' folder).
frenchsr

Post by frenchsr »

Thank you for the help locating the registry keys. After uninstalling the program, deleting those keys, rebooting, and reinstalling the program it now opens as expected.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

That's surprising but not 100% impossible sadly... Glad it worked.