.obj to .pts for Revit

For user feedback or tutorials
akanter

.obj to .pts for Revit

Post by akanter »

Hello. I'm a new user.

I am an architect. I want to convert a LIDAR-generated OBJ source file into a PTS file to read into Autodesk Recap Pro for use in Revit 2022. I found a post in this forum but, as a newbie to CloudCompare, I couldn't make it work.

My question is, is there a step-by-step methodology that will show me where in the GUI I can find the controls I need? Or the method to use?

Thank you!

Alan
San Francisco
daniel
Site Admin

Re: .obj to .pts for Revit

Post by daniel »

There might be a video on Youtube, but since there are a lot now, it's hard to be sure ;)

Normally you would just need to:
- highlight the mesh object
- then go to "Edit > Mesh > Sample points"
- highlight the resulting cloud and use the "File > Save" menu option
- choose "ASCII cloud" as the output filter (just use ".pts" as the extension)
- in the dialog option, choose the "[PTS] ..." order and check the "number of points" option
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
AyaGamal

Re: .obj to .pts for Revit

Post by AyaGamal »

You could try importing an OBJ into FormIt and then import that into Revit but my attempts at such have failed quickly... too many polys and no textures.

And really, Revit isn’t set up to do this kind of viz. Enscape3D is fantastic but is constrained by Revit’s limitations.

Have a look at Lumion or Twinmotion. They are both “real-time” renderers (like Enscape), have dedicated Revit workflows, and are much more flexible in terms of importing other geometry.

For me Revit is an authoring tool that facilitates BIM. great for creating 3d models of buildings. In addition, The best thing is to use the graphics tablet. I have a XP-Pen Artist Pro 16 ( https://www.xp-pen.com/product/977.html ) pen display, I recommend it to anyone who hates mouse.