Rotation modes

Feel free to ask any question here
jonaden

Rotation modes

Post by jonaden »

Dear community,

I recently discovered CloudCompare as a tool to segment objects from point clouds. Unfortunately, there is one thing that really diminishes my enjoyment to use the software: Both rotation modes (viewer-based and object-centered) are in my opinion not intuitive, unlike a third alternative that I know from other programs. For a demonstration on how this rotation mode works I set up a small github repository at https://github.com/jonaden94/rotation_mode/tree/main

In short, the center point can be chosen by double clicking the left mouse button as in cloudcomompare. But you dont rotate the object around this center but rather the camera. The mouse wheel can be used to zoom in and out.

Does anyone know if there is a way to achieve this mode in cloudcompare? If not, I suggest this rotation mode as an alternative to the already existing ones. Unfortunately I dont have the time (and probably expertise) to help with implementing this.

On the other hand, being able to navigate with arrows in viewer-based perspective might add a lot of usability (as in first person view computer games).

Kind regards
Jonathan