E57 plugin not compiling properly

Questions related to plugins development
DeanTheAmazing

E57 plugin not compiling properly

Post by DeanTheAmazing »

I am fairly new to this, but i have been searching a solution for days now. When I try and compile CloudCompare, i cannot open e57 files ([Load] Can't guess file format: unhandled file extension 'e57') even tho i should have the plugin installed
My problem is, that most of the sources i can find state that i will need XercesC (which was really needed, i built it, and everything, told cmake where the include dir was, although there might be a problem with the libraries, for VS only gave 1 .lib file, and i set it for both release, and debug, can that be my problem?), but also they say i should need the LibE57Format library, which was never asked for me.
Some say that there should be a LIBE57_INSTALL_DIR entry, but it won't generate for me, and adding it manually is no good either. Is that my problem? Cmake does put 'plugins\core\IO\qE57IO\extern\libE57Format' in the build path, and VS has a 'QE57_IO_PLUGIN.dll' in the release library.
The last thing i can think about, is that when i click on release, the output says
'CloudCompare.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\myfolderpath\CloudCompare\plugins\QE57_IO_PLUGIN.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'CloudCompare.exe' (Win32): Unloaded 'C:\myfolderpath\CloudCompare\plugins\QE57_IO_PLUGIN.dll'
should it not unload it?
DeanTheAmazing

Re: E57 plugin not compiling properly

Post by DeanTheAmazing »

Of course there are no errors and warnings.
WargodHernandez

Post by WargodHernandez »

Look at the console inside of CloudCompare scroll up to where it loads plugins, if CC says that the plugin does not appear to be a valid plugin, usually that means that you are missing a dependency.

Dependencies will go into the C:\myfolderpath\CloudCompare directory rather than the plugins sub folder
DeanTheAmazing

Post by DeanTheAmazing »

H, thanks! I have not noticed that console there... So it says there is a module missing, which must be the E57Format.dll, because when i open the dll with dependency walker, it misses that, and 5 others, which are actually with the exe. The problem is, even if i put it there, nothing changes. Now i have a working CC on my pc, so i looked at it's plugins dependencies, and it did not require the E57Format.dll, which tells me i probably add it somehow during the building, and it builds it inside it? IDK, but the working one does not contain it anywhere. Can you help me again? Am i on the wrong track here?
WargodHernandez

Post by WargodHernandez »

Set the CMAKE variable E57_BUILD_SHARED to false, to use the .Lib instead of .DLL
DeanTheAmazing

Post by DeanTheAmazing »

Ah, ffs, i forgot to chech for the E57Format.dll for missing dependecies, it was the one missing them, thanks for your help mate!