software for Post processing lidar data and gnss/imu ??

Feel free to ask any question here
TimmyD

software for Post processing lidar data and gnss/imu ??

Post by TimmyD »

I am in the process of purchasing a lidar system to use on our drones and use on a backpack system. Learning about lidar reminds me all too well of the days when I was learning surveying principles and photogrammetry. There is a ton of marketing stuff online regarding lidar but helpful full workflow tutorials seem to be scarce. I do not want to make a mistake on buying unnecessary software.

Can someone offer advice on software for post processing the lidar data and the gnss/imu data?

As I understand, I will need to post process the gnss/imu data (just like I would for photogrammetry). I understand I will need software or an online service to do this. Any advice on cost effective, good solutions will be appreciated.

Also need advice on post processing the cloud data such as lidar strip alignment. This can be done in Lidar360 and TeraScan but are there other solutions? I am still trying to understand the complete workflow and what must be purchased, and what I can do with open source (but donate!) like CloudCompare.

Some people wont' ask these questions, but I am just being open and transparent with my level of ignorance on this. Someday I will understand it well and pass along the knowledge. So thank you for any help or advice you can provide. I already own Pix4D desktop and GlobalMapper +lidar module. But I don't know GM very well.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: software for Post processing lidar data and gnss/imu ??

Post by daniel »

Note sure for the first step.

And for the second, can lastools do this?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin