Linux build will not load LAZ or LAS files

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
zeddock

Linux build will not load LAZ or LAS files

Post by zeddock »

I am running Manjaro KDE latest edition stable.
I am using CC for the first time and I may be ignorantly missing something.
I have read other posts about LAZ and LAS open and save, but none seem to be what I am seeing.

If I drop or otherwise try to open an LAS or LAZ file into CC, I get this error:
[Load] Can't guess file format: unhandled file extension 'las'

From other posts I have seen maybe there is an issue with chars in the path or name, but I have eliminated that possibility by making it simple and at the top of the dir. "points.las"

I have installed same versions of CC, 2.11.0 (Anoia) 64bit on Windows 10 and the open seems to work.

Please tell me how I can get this working on my Linux box?

I intend to simply bring in LAZ pointclouds of large file-sizes and decimate so that I can export / save out into a smaller LAS file.
Any help appreciated!

Thank you for this amazing program. I have been watching videos and trying to understand more, and it is incredibly impressive!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Linux build will not load LAZ or LAS files

Post by daniel »

I guess it's a matter of compiling CC with the right dependency.

We use PDAL to load las/laz files now. Therefore you have to build CC with the q_PDAL_IO plugin (or something similar).

Mind that I am not 100% sure it's possible on Linux (but it should be).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

CC 2.11.0 on Manjaro Gnome opens las files fine on my end. I didn't use KDE since quite a while, but it used to work a couple of months ago too.
I have a snap package installed, flatpak was somewhat buggy if I recall correctly.
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

Thanx!
I will try the snap.

Any other ideas
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

The SNAP version does load the LAS files, no the LAZ's though.
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

UNFORTUNATELY, the SNAP version of cloudcompare will not SAVE any type of file, other than Tools/Batch Export/Export Cloud Info E.

...although I have no idea what good that export save is.

Anyone know how I might get some functionality from cloudcompare on my Linux machin?

Thank you!
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

My only use other than learning more about PointClouds is to take a very large LAZ file and decimate it down to 500k points and save it out to an LAS file for others to use.

Can someone help me use the Linux Terminal to do this in that way, to perhaps bypass whatever failure is happening in opening and saving files?

I have uninstalled the FlatPak version (I previously called it SNAP!) of 2.11, and have installed the git version 2.10.2.r783.g97f1e01f-1. I will try this through the GUI, but I figured if someone can give me the proper use of the Terminal command line to do what i want, the flatpak might not work since I think it is in a sort of bubble to the terminal access.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you.
CloudyCloud

Post by CloudyCloud »

Why don't you install the official release version instead of compiling from AUR? It works as expected and opens las/laz files correctly.
I just tried these files and all is ok - check if you can open them: https://www.novlum.com/unidem/usecases/ ... adison.zip

And when the command line goes, with snap package installed you can execute this command to subsample randomly to you desired cloud size:
cloudcompare.CloudCompare -SILENT -C_EXPORT_FMT LAS -o <FILENAME> -SS RANDOM 500000
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

Thank you kindly!

I will go try. I had a major failure on my computer and it took me a while to get it stable and get back to here!

This is great news and I will report back.
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

Nuts!
Guessing you thought I was using another flavor of Linux?
I only see these options for Manjaro KDE Stable. Have I missed something?
Thanx!