Cad align with point vs auto fit at Cloudcompare via GEOMAGIC Control

Any question about the database & algorithms library 'CCLib'
soheilsabz

Cad align with point vs auto fit at Cloudcompare via GEOMAGIC Control

Post by soheilsabz »

I need to compare two STL (Dental model Scanned) files and find the deviation between their points, SO this two STL files have different boundary, so i already used the GEOMAGIC Control software for comparing STL files,

I found these two like:

Are there any open source alternatives for geomagic?

How to compare/quantify (populate) two .stl models having shape difference to see result as color stl file and bar telling plus and minus changes?

useful for finding free alternative software for Geomagic, So i installed the Cloudcompare in my Linux OS, and aligned two stl file and used the ***compute cloud/mesh distance*** icon and get this output picture of stl which shown geomagic output above:

So in Cloudcompare the Auto fit Aligning method don't work correctly and based of the user advises said which almost don't working correctly;

> Sadly it's still very buggy and not well documented so you're likely
> to lose more time by using this method (even if it's 'automatic') than
> directly using one of the above. Maybe in the future if someone dares
> to dig in the code and fix it...
So i must Align the two model by selecting at least for point in reference model and the target model, so i want dose by using this mechanism (manually give some reference point to align process) give the output acceptable in compare with Geomagic control best Auto fit mechanism for aligning?

It would be very useful to have more knowledge about this kind of aligning (manual selecting some reference point) with Auto fit aligning method because this works are for one academical research. for example i show the parameters for the manual aligning parameter in Cloudcompare Software and using finally using Cloud registration:

as you can see the model finally has been setting aligned. in the cloud compare site about Cloud Registration method said:
> Automatic registration Fine registration with ICP For now, the only
> automatic method to very finely register two entities is the
> well-known Iterative Closest Point (ICP) algorithm. See the Fine
> registration (ICP) section.

So i have already used the Geomagic Control for finding variance result vs cloudcompare here:

So does this photo confirm the acceptable sameness of this two methods used for aligning used for variance Calculations?

This question link via StackExchange site:

https://engineering.stackexchange.com/q ... ic-control
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Cad align with point vs auto fit at Cloudcompare via GEOMAGIC Control

Post by daniel »

See my answer on StackExchange.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin