Ubuntu command line issue

Feel free to ask any question here
a.patience

Ubuntu command line issue

Post by a.patience »

I'm having issue executing command line functionality on my Ubuntu VM.

From a clean install, I've then installed CC via snap, uploaded a 33mb las file, and then tried to execute:

cloudcompare -O x.las -SS SPATIAL 0.1

The result I get is "cloudcompare command not found".

I've tried executing it from root, the CC main directory, and the CC bin directory, all with the same result.

When executing cloudcompare.CloudCompare, I get an error related to visualisation, which is fine because I'm not intending to do that and have no desktop GUI set up.

I simply wish to use CC functionality via command line on a fresh Ubuntu VM.
Romain.Janvier

Re: Ubuntu command line issue

Post by Romain.Janvier »

Hello, sorry for the delay,
you have to run cloudcompare.CloudCompare with the snap package. The prefix prevents name collision with potential other package and binaries of CC installed on your computer, you can make an alias if it's an issue for you.
a.patience

Post by a.patience »

Romain.Janvier wrote:Hello, sorry for the delay,
you have to run cloudcompare.CloudCompare with the snap package. The prefix prevents name collision with potential other package and binaries of CC installed on your computer, you can make an alias if it's an issue for you.
Operating out of /snap/cloudcompare/131/bin/ (where the exe is located), I attempt to execute:

"cloudcompare.CloudCompare -O x.las -SS SPATIAL 0.1"

But I get the following error:

"QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display"

Have tried with sudo prefix also with no success. I feel like I'm confusing some concepts or missing something obvious.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

If it's a VM, isn't it an issue with the graphic card / display? Because of the way CC is built, even when the command line mode is used, CC will try to initialize the graphic context.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
a.patience

Post by a.patience »

daniel wrote:If it's a VM, isn't it an issue with the graphic card / display? Because of the way CC is built, even when the command line mode is used, CC will try to initialize the graphic context.
So to use command line functionality I need a display method set up, although it wont open the viewer?

If that is the case then I should be able to take off running from here.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Yes, because the command line tool is just a hack of the main graphical application.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
a.patience

Post by a.patience »

daniel wrote:Yes, because the command line tool is just a hack of the main graphical application.
Right! Thank you Daniel, I should be able to sort it out now.
augle

Post by augle »

Hi,

I am also new to Linux and Cloud Compare. I am running Linux Mint 17.2, and install Cloud Compare with

sudo apt install snapd
snap install cloudcompare

The installation went fine, and when I tried to run from within /snap/cloudcompare/131/bin/CloudCompare, I've got

> CloudCompare
CloudCompare: error while loading shared libraries: libQCC_IO_LIB.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

> cloudcompare.CloudCompare
zsh: command not found: cloudcompare.CloudCompare

> ./cloudcompare.CloudCompare
bash: ./cloudcompare.CloudCompare: No such file or directory

> cloudcompare.CloudCompare
cloudcompare.CloudCompare: command not found