ccCompass

Questions related to plugins development
matknaak

ccCompass

Post by matknaak »

Hi,

just discovered your new ccCompass plugin - sensational!!!

It took me a while though to understand the orientation values from the Plane tool. I was misleaded and confused because the reading in the DB Tree is different to the Primitive readings in the properties box. It seems that in the DB Tree the strike of the plane is shown, whereas in the Properties/Primitive the dipdirection is shown (which perfectly matches the fitted plane and fits dipdirection derived by normal estimations). Maybe it would be usefull to change the value shown in the DB Tree to avoid further confusion at some stage...

thanks a lot - very usefull tool

cheers

mat
daniel
Site Admin

Re: ccCompass

Post by daniel »

Thanks I'll inform Sam (the author of the plugin) about this ;)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
SamThiele

Post by SamThiele »

Hey Mat - I'm glad you like the plugin :)

You are correct that I've named the planes as STRIKE/DIP (this is the Aussie way ;) ) - however I take your point that this is inconsistent with the primitive readings of DIP / DIP-DIR. I'll change the code so it names the planes using the DIP / DIP-DIR format (XX/XXX) instead.

Cheers,
Sam
matknaak

Post by matknaak »

Hi Daniel,

thanks for passing this on...

I also tried to follow up the Citation mentioned in the Wiki manual on ccCompass, but could not find Thiele et al. (2017) anywhere. Is it just me having trouble accessing this paper or is there something wrong with the citation?

cheers

mat
ccGeol

Post by ccGeol »

Hi matnaak and others,

I am also looking for the publication "ccCompass: A computer-assisted approach to structural interpretation of point clouds" Thiele et al. (2017) for the sake of citing it. Does anybody know where to find it?

cheers
ccGeol
CDRobson

Post by CDRobson »

Daniel, Sam

great tool you have here. I can only imagine the huge effort that goes into developing plugins and apps like this. Thankyou very much for making it available to simple geos like me :)

cheers
C
SamThiele

Post by SamThiele »

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments about the tool - I do hope it is as useful for you as it has been for me! The Thiele et al., publication is currently in prep, but I expect to submit it shortly. I'll update this thread (and the citation in the tool) once it is published... In the meantime, an AGU abstract describing the "Trace" method can be found here:

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... int_Clouds

Cheers,
Sam