Measure Slope

Feel free to ask any question here
Arthurdiver

Measure Slope

Post by Arthurdiver »

Hello

I'm a student in Oceanography, I work on complexity of substrate in marine bottom. For this use I generate 3D model with photogrammétrics technic.
And I measure my data on this model with cloud compare.

One of the data that I want to measure is the slope of the model. Models are rectangular and I want the slope on several section of the width.
Does someone know How it is possible ?

thank you
And sorry for my bad English
Arthurdiver

Re: Measure Slope

Post by Arthurdiver »

Basiquely, I want to know the mean slope between this two point of my models
Attachments
point and slope
point and slope
Capture d’écran (11).png (189.72 KiB) Viewed 4078 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

In CloudCompare, there's basically two ways of computing the 'slope' (as the 'dip' and 'dip direction' values):
- either you fit a plane on a subset of points (at least 3, but in your case you can try to fit a plane on your whole cloud). You'll get the corresponding plane normal and also the equivalent dip and dip directions (either in the Console or in the plane properties dialog).
- otherwise if you have normal vectors expressed for each point of your cloud, you can convert them to 'dip and dip direction' values (Edit > Normals > Convert to > Dip / dip direction SF). If you don't have the normals, you can compute them with 'Edit > Normals > Compute' (see http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/in ... %5CCompute). But to get the slope between your two extreme points, you would have to use a huge radius, and it would be a bit overkill. I think the plane fitting option should work better.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Arthurdiver

Post by Arthurdiver »

Thank you daniel

The plane fitting option is easier and it work perfectly...
But I'm just asking how it work.
Witch point i use for determinate the slope orientation ( dip direction)
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well, the plane fitting option uses all the points. You can segment the cloud (with the scissors tool) if you want to be more selective.
Ang08

Post by Ang08 »

I have a doubt. Bow to measure angle of slope in CC? Like I can measure dip/dip dorection, but I need this for determining scanline or planar of slope, to use in dips (orientate the traverses). So if there any ideas, please share with me.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Not sure, but you may be able to play with planes (primitives)? You can ether match planes on subsets of points, or create planes manually. Then you can select 2 planes and use 'Edit > Plane > Compare'. Among other things, you'll see the angle between the 2 planes...