Batch cloud to meshes distance

Feel free to ask any question here
PBornemann

Batch cloud to meshes distance

Post by PBornemann »

Hello,

I am working on large points clouds (~10 to 15 million points covering a 600x500 meters surface). We aim at dividing the point clouds in squares of similar size, and calculating the difference between the point clouds and a 2.5 quadric mesh in order to evaluate local noise and deviations, and to link them with point clouds characteristics (incidence angle, distance, type of sensor etc.).

I settled on squares of 10x10 meters, so as to still have an accurate representation of local variations, and not have too many tiles, although that still amounts to 2056 tiles total (there are places with no data).

So far, I have :
* tiled the original point clouds using LASTools
* imported all 2k+ tiles in CloudCompare and created a 2.5D quadric approximation of the surfaces

Now the last step would be to compare the tiles with their repsective quadric meshes, but I can't figure out how to do that, and of course doing manual comparisons on 2056 point clouds would take an absurd amount of time.
I know that batch programs can be created through command line, and that they allow for Cloud to Meshes distances, but I fail to see what the correct approach would be in this case.
1) Do I need to save the meshes to individual files, since the cloud 2 mesh algorithm seems to require two files as inputs ? That would require a whole different script in order to write the files.
2) How do I make sure that individual point clouds are compared with their corresponding mesh when programming in batch ?
Or maybe my whole workflow is unnecessarily complicated and there is a much simpler solution that I have missed ?

See attached, a screenshot of the current state of my project.

Thank you in advance,
Best regards,
Pierrick.
Attachments
c2m_bacth.png
c2m_bacth.png (223.44 KiB) Viewed 772 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Batch cloud to meshes distance

Post by daniel »

Well, actually you only miss the option to generate the quadric via the command line. Otherwise you would be able to make a script that calls CC in command line mode for each cloud, generates the quadric and then launches the distances computation.

Adding this option to the command line tool is relatively easy if you have some programming skills (or someone around you). Otherwise I don't see how you can automate this task.

If this is not super urgent, I could add the option myself, but I really can't promise you on a short term.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin