ALS Pointcloud -> terrain mesh -> LandXML ?

Feel free to ask any question here
anderstiltnes

ALS Pointcloud -> terrain mesh -> LandXML ?

Post by anderstiltnes »

Hei Daniel ! LOVE CC!
Is it possible to make a function to:
1. import ALS pointcloud (it is free available covering whole of Norway)
2. Make a mesh
3. Export it as LandXML.

In construction of roads, rails etc, all heavy earth works, LandXML is the standard to use. Would be great to turn ALS into LandXML. <3
daniel
Site Admin

Re: ALS Pointcloud -> terrain mesh -> LandXML ?

Post by daniel »

Hum, I believe someone already asked about landXML a while ago. I don't know if there's an open-source (and C/C++) library that allows one to create or read such files. If yes, then why not. Otherwise it would be too much work.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
anderstiltnes

Post by anderstiltnes »

Hi Daniel :)
As you see I am not in the forum too often - i should tho :)

How can I find out if there is a open-source library for this? I am not a developer, so i dont know where to search. But If i can help in any ways, let me know.

For me, working in the road and rail construction business, being able to make LAS -> TIN -> export to LandXML would be very usefull. A lot of people could use CC for that. And at least me would donate offcourse.

Anders
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Hum, I would have tried to search on Google (and of course I already did that, but didn't found anything fancy after a quick search, but it was pretty quick ;).

Actually the best way to help would be to find someone that can do the job... It can even be an intern. It shouldn't be too complicated. It's just that it will take some time and we don't have the time to implement all these ideas (see the TODO list: https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudCo ... C/TODO.txt). We all work on this project either on our free time or we are very focused on our own research/work. No one is doing it to earn money (but of course you could find freelance developers to do the work, but it's another budget).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin