Importing Surveyed (Geolocated) Point Clouds

Feel free to ask any question here
lgeis

Importing Surveyed (Geolocated) Point Clouds

Post by lgeis »

Greetings from Beautiful Boise!

I am considering an assignment in which I'll (LiDAR) scan a neighborhood of several homes; I'll scan the neighborhood once this winter, then again in summer and compare the Point Clouds.

Complexity: I need to have my Point Clouds geolocated (surveyed), and I need for the geolocation data to be honored upon import to CloudCompare. The entire neighborhood is-shall we say-migrating a bit, and there will be few or no common points with which to register the two Point Clouds. I wouldn't want to do that anyway; I want to visualize the distance things have moved in the "real world."

So, I have looked around but can't seem to find a definitive answer (probably just middle age); is it possible to import the two georeferenced Point Clouds and have CloudCompare maintain their positions in the real world, then apply the distance visualizations?

Thanks for your help!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Importing Surveyed (Geolocated) Point Clouds

Post by daniel »

Indeed, CloudCompare will be able to import the two geolocated clouds in the samer coordinate reference system.

CloudCompare will just (temporarily) shift the coordinates to a local coordinate system to avoid losing numerical accuracy. Normally it should shift the two clouds in the same local coordinate system automatically (and in the worst case you can very easily force it to do it).

And the global coordinate reference system is stored by CloudCompare, so that the original coordinates are restored if you happen to export the clouds.

P.S.: Boise seems very nice indeed (I like the fact that the mountains are very close... and I like the name ;)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
lgeis

Post by lgeis »

Thank you so much, Daniel!

Boise is a pretty nice place-no doubt. I lived in England for a few years (Felixstowe), and my wife was an exchange student in La Rochelle-we're both in love with Europe, too. One thing about Boise's name (les Bois, originally-obviously) is that we have many, many more trees than when the area was named!
lgeis

Post by lgeis »

I sure do appreciate any help with this matter; can't find a procedure in the manual or the wiki, but have posted a request on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2872

Thanks!