smoothing and adjusting set of point cloud

Feel free to ask any question here
Jacob_C

smoothing and adjusting set of point cloud

Post by Jacob_C »

Hi,

I would advise you to certain issue. I need to make an inventory of road using point clouds aquired by my drone. To processing my data I have to remove noisy scattered data points and get smoothed set of points in order to prepare proper point cloud to further process. As the result I need to reconstruct surface that is the best adjusted and approximated to the real road surface.

I have read about Moving Least Squares (MLS) surface reconstruction. It looks great but I have a doubt it distorts the model of the surface. Always when I use this method the final surface is slightly below the whole point cloud. But I need to adjust my surface to agglomeration of points (exclude noisy points).

I am attaching a image of example points to submit what I mean.

Thank you for any suggestion in this case.

Best wishes,
Jacob
point_cloud.jpg
point_cloud.jpg (51.85 KiB) Viewed 6198 times
zrzut (Kopiowanie).jpg
zrzut (Kopiowanie).jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 6198 times
zrzut_1.jpg
zrzut_1.jpg (112.02 KiB) Viewed 6198 times
Regards,
Jacob
daniel
Site Admin

Re: smoothing and adjusting set of point cloud

Post by daniel »

Hi Jacob,

Sadly I don't know much about the MLS function. It's part of the qPCL plugin and therefore it's only a portage of the PCL "MLS" functions (see http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tu ... mpling.php).

Luca Penasa (the author of the plugin) may be able to give you more info about it. Or the PCL community more probably.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
muzo583

Re: smoothing and adjusting set of point cloud

Post by muzo583 »

You can try SOR (Statistical outlier removal) before MLS algorithm that would improve the quality of the surface.