Command Line C2C_dist Questions

Feel free to ask any question here
gmickd

Command Line C2C_dist Questions

Post by gmickd »

Hello, I am trying to automate comparing meshes using cloudcompare, but I am coming up against a few issues. I was hoping someone here could help.

I have two .ply files with vertices, elements and faces and I want to perform a cloud compare between them.

I have tried the following command:

CloudCompare -o file1.ply -o file2.ply -C2C_dist

but I get the following error:

No point cloud available. Be sure to open or generate one first!

I then remove the element and face data, and then I get the command to run with a cloundcompare dialog and a .bin file is created. However, I would like to just get the mean distance and standard deviation returned in a way that I can write it to a report files.

I also tried sampling the mesh but instead of returning the vertices, randomly selected points from the faces are returned.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there a way to just import the point cloud from a mesh (i.e. import the vertices of a ply file) or do I need to do some preprocessing to remove the elements and faces?

2. Is there a way to return the mean distance and standard deviation as values using C2C_dist instead of printing that information to the console?

Thanks,

Geoff
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Command Line C2C_dist Questions

Post by daniel »

Indeed, currently if you open a mesh, CC will only consider it as a mesh. We should add an option to drop the faces and keep only the vertices.

Otherwise there is currently no way to output the mean/std.dev. distance in command line mode. Moreover I'm not sure how you could get them as 2 separate values from the command line anyway?

I bet it would be "easier" for you to hack the code and create a custom function/plugin that do this in CC.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Jip

Post by Jip »

Hi,

I'm running into the same problem.
The values I'm interested in are printed to the CloudCompare console:
[15:22:53] [ComputeDistances] Mean distance = 1.002791 / std deviation = 1.673994
But not to stdout (Terminal/Command Line).

When using the -SILENT option this is all the info printed to stdout:
[DISTANCE COMPUTATION]
[SAVING]

It seems the generated *.bin files no longer contain the Mean distance and std deviation values.
I too would like to do batch comparison of point clouds and save those values.
Has anybody found a solution to this issue?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Oups this message was lost in the moderation queue... And we should add an option to divert CC's console to std::out. But that will be for a future version :D
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
rtoepfer

Post by rtoepfer »