Colors Grey not visible on point cloud

Feel free to ask any question here
Sebastian

Colors Grey not visible on point cloud

Post by Sebastian »

Dear all,

We are trying to colorize a point cloud with 3 different channels and experience some problems. We made a 3d scan with a terrestrial laser scanner (FARO Focus 3D) and activated the RGB channel. Therefore, we get a point cloud with greyscale (laser reflexivity) and RGB (colour for the point cloud). Now when we open the point cloud in CloucCompare, we can set XYZ for the coordinates of the points, RGB for the Image and grey for the greyscale, but if I select colours, I can only choose between RGB and None (no grey).

If I set the greyscale to Scalar, I can chose the Colours of the point cloud to RGB, Scalar or None.
Can I somehow get the grey colour also on the point cloud? Because we would like to have all three channels on our 3D model (Grey, RGB and Scalar).

Greetings Sebastian
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Colors Grey not visible on point cloud

Post by daniel »

Hi,

Actually this is a limitation of the FARO 'LS' SDK that requires that we choose between 'color' and 'scanner reflection'. It seems that we can't load both at the same time!

One way to do it would be to load the cloud twice, and then import the colors from one cloud to the other with the 'Edit > Colors > Interpolate from another entity' (select both clouds before calling this method).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin