Create Plane Tool

Feel free to ask any question here
matknaak

Create Plane Tool

Post by matknaak »

Hi,

this is more a note than a question. I have been playing with the "Create Plane Tool" and experienced the following:
1. created a plane (dip=0, dipdir=0, width=3, height=10)
2. I edited the plane changing dip and dip direction (dip=30, dipdir=60, width=3, height=10)
3. I edited the plane again changing dip and dip direction (dip=60, dipdir=310, width=3, height=10)
4. I edited the plane again changing dip and dip direction back to the original values (dip=0, dipdir=0, width=3, height=10)

The created plane now still has the same dimensions/geometry, but is rotated around the z-axis. In other words, when editing the dip and dip direction, the plane is tilted in a way that dip and dip direction is correct, but the plane is somehow rotated around its normal vector.
Maybe as a future request, could it be possible to allow the upper and lower boundary of the plane to remain parallel to the xy-surface or in other words when dip direction is changed that the plane just rotates around the z-axis.

cheers

mat
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Create Plane Tool

Post by daniel »

Hi,

Actually the issue is that the dip and dip direction only gives 2 angles, and we need 3 to define a rotation uniquely. This is why CC chooses one arbitrarily. And while it's straightforward when one starts from a plane parallel to XY and aligned with the X and Y axes, it's more complicated when dealing with arbitrary planes.

However I'll add a specific case when the initial plane is parallel aligned with XY.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin