Default Color Scale Options

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
I/O Design

Default Color Scale Options

Post by I/O Design »

I like the recent improvements to the color scale (custom labels) but think there are a few more things that could make it more user friendly.
1. ability to set a default color scale
2. ability to set a default number of steps for custom color scales within the color scale editor
3. sort the color scale drop-down menu alphabetically
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Default Color Scale Options

Post by daniel »

1. Do you mean to set a default color scale for CloudCompare? Instead of using the default 'rainbow' one?

2 & 3. Good ideas!
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
I/O Design

Post by I/O Design »

I was thinking it would be nice to be able to choose any one of the existing or custom scales and set it as the default for any imported point clouds. I often conduct several comparisons and need to change all the color scales. It could potentially be a drop down in the Display options under Color scale (scalar field). It may be nice if you could set separate defaults for imported clouds, clouds used in cloud-to-cloud comparisons, and clouds used in cloud-to-mesh comparisons.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

A global setting (in the 'Display options' dialog) could be added indeed. But several options would be very heavy (also in terms of development ;).

I already modified the code to sort the color scales. I'll see what I can do for the default number of steps.
daanbl

Post by daanbl »

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but is there any news on this functionality? I'm having the same issue where I regularly load a large number of point clouds and then for each one separately have to set the right color scale and number of steps. It would be great if a default option could be made, or if it were possible to select multiple clouds and change the color scale for all in one go.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Nope, this has not been implemented and it's still in the long TODO list...