Feedback for compiling CC using Visual Studio

All about Windows versions
jfhullo

Feedback for compiling CC using Visual Studio

Post by jfhullo »

Hi all,

since I formated my PC, here is a little feedback on compiling current (January 2013) version of CC using VIsual Studio. Here are several steps I carried out:

1. First install: Visual Studio Express 2010 and Qt 4.8.4. I first used Cmake for visual studio express 2010, but I could not open the sln in Visual Studio express 2010. Errors about characters. Humpf.
2. So I installed a Student version of Visual Studio (full) 2008, and associated Qt version. With cmake, everything ok for compiling. (The install sub project is indeed really nice using cmake)

3. I noticed that visual studio express 2010 can open project created with cmake when created for a 2008 version: the conversion tool automatically appears and everything is ok! I guess that it should be the same with visual express 2012, when Qt will be available for 2012 versions of VS.

My config here : MacBook White, 2008, core 2 Duo, Windows 8 professionnal 64 bits

That's it. It really appreciate the work of Daniel about cleaning the trunk and use cmake. It's now really easy to look at the source code.

Feel free to share your experiences too!

JF
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Feedback for compiling CC using Visual Studio

Post by daniel »

Thanks JF for this feedback.

On Windows 7, I compile the 'official' release version with Visual 2010 Express, CMake 2.8.7 and Qt 4.8.1 (at the time I setup my dev. environment, compilation of the 64 bits version of Qt on Windows was not 'official' and was requiring a small hack by the way).

Do you know if the problems you encountered are Windows 8 specific? Can you give more feedback about the 'Errors about characters'?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
upen005

Post by upen005 »

I am trying to compile CC in my computer but i am having error each time. I am using MSVC 2008 professional 32 bit. QT 4.8.0, PCL 1.5.1 and none of other optional dependencies i donot want to install openKinect plugins. everything goes right while generating sln file using CMake gui but build fails while building the build files in MSVC. Need help please.

Thanks Upen
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

What are the build errors ? And what version of Windows are you working on ?
upen005

Post by upen005 »

Hey Daniel,
Thanks for the response. I am sorry, I should have informed in my earlier post that I am using Windows 7 32 bit OS and MS visual studio 2008 professional edition for compiling CC.
I have copied some of the Error reports. please help me with it.
Thank you for your support,
Upen

D:\trunk-master\libs\qCC_db\msvc\stdint.h(241) : warning C4005: 'INTMAX_C' : macro redefinition
3> C:\Program Files\PCL\3rdParty\Boost\include\boost/cstdint.hpp(423) : see previous definition of 'INTMAX_C'
3>D:\trunk-master\libs\qCC_db\msvc\stdint.h(242) : warning C4005: 'UINTMAX_C' : macro redefinition
3> C:\Program Files\PCL\3rdParty\Boost\include\boost/cstdint.hpp(424) : see previous definition of 'UINTMAX_C'
11>Compiling manifest to resources...
11>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
11>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
11>Linking...
11>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\CC\Debug\CC_DLLd.lib'
11>Build log was saved at "file://d:\trunk-master\build\libs\qCC_db\QCC_DB_DLL.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
11>QCC_DB_DLL - 1 error(s), 159 warning(s)

13>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccScalarField.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
13>d:\trunk-master\cc\include\PointProjectionTools.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
13>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccGLMatrix.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
13>Generating Code...
13>Build log was saved at "file://d:\trunk-master\build\qCC\qCC.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
13>qCC - 149 error(s), 364 warning(s)

16>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccGLMatrix.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
16>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccScalarField.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
19>qSSAO.cpp
17>Generating Code...
18>Compiling...
17>Compiling manifest to resources...
16>qPCV.cpp
16>..\..\..\..\qCC\plugins\qPCV\qPCV.cpp : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
18>qrc_qRANSAC_SD.cxx
17>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
17>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
17>Linking...
17>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\CC\Debug\CC_DLLd.lib'
17>Build log was saved at "file://d:\trunk-master\build\qCC\plugins\qPoissonRecon\QPOISSON_RECON_PLUGIN_DLL.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
17>QPOISSON_RECON_PLUGIN_DLL - 1 error(s), 10 warning(s)

20>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccGLMatrix.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
20>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccScalarField.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
20>qHPR.cpp
19>ccSSAOFilter.cpp
19>d:\trunk-master\qcc\plugins\qssao\randomkit\rk_sobol.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
19>Generating Code...
19>Compiling manifest to resources...
18>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccGLMatrix.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
18>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccGLMatrix.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
19>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
18>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccScalarField.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
19>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
19>Linking...
18>d:\trunk-master\qcc\plugins\qransac_sd\ransac_sd_orig\PointCloud.h(70) : warning C4996: 'std::copy': Function call with parameters that may be unsafe - this call relies on the caller to check that the passed values are correct. To disable this warning, use -D_SCL_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS. See documentation on how to use Visual C++ 'Checked Iterators'
19>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\CC\Debug\CC_DLLd.lib'
18> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\include\xutility(2550) : see declaration of 'std::copy'
19>Build log was saved at "file://d:\trunk-master\build\qCC\plugins\qSSAO\QSSAO_PLUGIN_DLL.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
19>QSSAO_PLUGIN_DLL - 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)

21>Generating moc_qPCL.cxx
16>ccPcvDlg.cpp
21>Compiling...
21>qrc_qPCL.cxx
21>moc_qPCL.cxx
16>Generating Code...
16>Compiling manifest to resources...
16>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
16>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
16>Linking...
16>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\CC\Debug\CC_DLLd.lib'
16>Build log was saved at "file://d:\trunk-master\build\qCC\plugins\qPCV\QPCV_PLUGIN_DLL.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
16>QPCV_PLUGIN_DLL - 1 error(s), 11 warning(s)

20>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccScalarField.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
18>Compiling manifest to resources...
20>Generating Code...
18>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
18>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
18>Linking...
20>Compiling manifest to resources...
18>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\CC\Debug\CC_DLLd.lib'
20>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
20>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
20>Linking...
18>Build log was saved at "file://d:\trunk-master\build\qCC\plugins\qRANSAC_SD\QRANSAC_SD_PLUGIN_DLL.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
18>QRANSAC_SD_PLUGIN_DLL - 1 error(s), 17 warning(s)
20>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\CC\Debug\CC_DLLd.lib'
20>Build log was saved at "file://d:\trunk-master\build\qCC\plugins\qHPR\QHPR_PLUGIN_DLL.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
20>QHPR_PLUGIN_DLL - 1 error(s), 16 warning(s)

21>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccGLMatrix.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
22>Compiling manifest to resources...
21>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccScalarField.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
22>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
22>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
22>Linking...
22>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\CC\Debug\CC_DLLd.lib'
22>Build log was saved at "file://d:\trunk-master\build\qCC\plugins\qEDL\QEDL_PLUGIN_DLL.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
22>QEDL_PLUGIN_DLL - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
21>d:\trunk-master\cc\include\PointProjectionTools.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
21>d:\trunk-master\libs\qcc_db\ccGLMatrix.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
21>Generating Code...
21>Compiling manifest to resources...
21>Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.0.5724.0
21>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
21>Linking...
21>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '..\..\..\CC\Debug\CC_DLLd.lib'
21>Build log was saved at "file://d:\trunk-master\build\qCC\plugins\qPCL\QPCL_PLUGIN_DLL.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
21>QPCL_PLUGIN_DLL - 1 error(s), 10 warning(s)
========== Build: 9 succeeded, 13 failed, 2 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I don't see any trace about the 'CC_DLL' project (it should be the very first one to compile). CC_DLL is the core library of CloudCompare, and all the errors rely to it ("CC_DLLd.lib" is its "debug" version).

Have you tried to built the "BUILD ALL" project directly? If yes, can you build only the 'CC_DLL' project and post the output?
upen005

Post by upen005 »

yah i tried to build ALL BUILD. I tried to build CC_DLL as u said and I got this error.

1>------ Build started: Project: CC_DLL, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Compiling...
1>Neighbourhood.cpp
1>..\..\CC\src\Neighbourhood.cpp : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
1>d:\trunk-master\cc\include\PointProjectionTools.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
1>..\..\CC\src\Neighbourhood.cpp(546) : error C2065: 'lsq' : undeclared identifier
1>..\..\CC\src\Neighbourhood.cpp(554) : error C2065: 'lsq' : undeclared identifier
1>DistanceComputationTools.cpp
1>..\..\CC\src\DistanceComputationTools.cpp : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
1>d:\trunk-master\cc\include\FastMarching.h : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
1>..\..\CC\src\DistanceComputationTools.cpp(871) : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
1>..\..\CC\src\DistanceComputationTools.cpp(1373) : error C2065: 'elligibleDist' : undeclared identifier
1>..\..\CC\src\DistanceComputationTools.cpp(1373) : error C2065: 'elligibleDist' : undeclared identifier
1>..\..\CC\src\DistanceComputationTools.cpp(1739) : warning C4819: The file contains a character that cannot be represented in the current code page (949). Save the file in Unicode format to prevent data loss
1>Generating Code...
1>Build log was saved at "file://d:\trunk-master\build\CC\CC_DLL.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>CC_DLL - 4 error(s), 6 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 2 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Hum, I guess this must be linked some way or another to this 'code page' issue.

How have you downloaded the source files? And what is the default language of your OS?

You may use the 'ZIP' button on the main github page (https://github.com/cloudcompare/trunk) and see if this 'code page' issue remains.
upen005

Post by upen005 »

I downloaded source files using zip button in the link and the default language of my OS is Korean. Can default language be the issue for the problem?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I guess so. Can you try to get the source with a more advanced tool? Such as TortoiseSVN or SmartGit ? They handle this kind of things in a better way ... generally.