Error installing in Debian due to libglew1.8

All about Linux portage
jgpallero

Error installing in Debian due to libglew1.8

Post by jgpallero »

Hello:

I'm a new CloudCompare user and my operating system is Debian. I'm trying to install the software but I obtain an error due to the libglew1.8 does not exists. Debian testing comes with libgglew1.7 and Debian unstable with libglew1.10. but aptitude says that the progman needs libglew1.8 (>=1.8.0). i suppose an error in the debian package, because obviously libglew1.10 > libglew1.8

Cheers

PS: I'm trying to install CloudCompare from https://launchpad.net/~romain-janvier/+ ... oudcompare
Romain.Janvier

Re: Error installing in Debian due to libglew1.8

Post by Romain.Janvier »

Hello,

it's a little bit weird obviously. But which version of Debian are you using exactly, testing or unstable ?

Regards,
R.
Romain.Janvier

Post by Romain.Janvier »

Hello,

It's a little bit weird obviously. But which version of Debian are you using exactly testing or sid ?

Regards,
R.
jgpallero

Post by jgpallero »

Romain.Janvier wrote: it's a little bit weird obviously. But which version of Debian are you using exactly, testing or unstable ?
R.
I'm using Debian unstable 64 bits (amd64). In the official repositories there is libglew1.7 and libglew1.10, so with libglew1.10 it should work because CloudCompare (package cloudcompare_2.5.1-0saucy2_amd64.deb) needs in theory libglew >= 1.8. I think also it could be errors with other libraries:

libfreenect0.1: The installer says that it is needed >= 1:0.1.1. Debian repos contain 0.1 and 0.2 versions, but if I install the 0.2 the error is the same as for libglew.

Another possibility in order to distribute one universal binary for all linuxes (al last alternative if the normal packages fail) could be to make one statically linked version, in order to not depend on any shared library

Cheers
Romain.Janvier

Post by Romain.Janvier »

Sorry for the late reply,

And sorry for the inconvenience.

I misred your previous post, In fact it's totaly normal. it depends on libglew1.8 package not on libglew1.10 nor even libglew1.7. The number in the package name is the soname, libraries with a different soname does not provides the same set of symbols.

the version number of the package is nearly independent of this soname (you can have libglew1.8 v.1.8.2-1 for exemple, so a software with a dependency to libglew1.8 (>1.8) can be installed with this package). There is no libglex1.8 package in Debian, I will send you a dedicated Debian package by mail (linked with libglew1.7).

For the "universal binary" thing, it could be a good idea but personally I prefer to focus on a dedicated an official Debian package that will hopefully be pushed in Jessie (Debian 8) repos in the coming months.

Regards and check your mail box :),
Romain
jgpallero

Post by jgpallero »

Romain, thank you very much for your time :)
jgpallero

Post by jgpallero »

I've installed yet in Sid. It works without problems. Thaks again
Romain.Janvier wrote: There is no libglex1.8 package in Debian, I will send you a dedicated Debian package by mail (linked with libglew1.7).
There is linked with libglew1.10 :)
Romain.Janvier

Post by Romain.Janvier »

nivce
There is linked with libglew1.10 :)
Yes, sorry I mention it in the email :) I will try to provide some regular Debian packages to Daniel (asides ones ones from the PPA) for the next release.

Romain
jgpallero

Post by jgpallero »

Hello, Romain,

I'm trying to install the Debian package you sent me a month ago for Sid in another computer and I'm having dependency problems. The package for 2.5.1 version of CloudCompare you made depends on libfreenect0.1, but since a couple of weeks in Sid and Testing Debian repos there is only the libfreenect0.2, so the package can't be installed. I've tried also with the Ubuntu packages from your webpage but there is also problems with the version numbering. I've also seen that the 2.5.3 CloudCompare version depends on dxflib 2.5.0 and libgdal1. It should be noted that in Debian Sid the libgdal1 is called libgdal1h.

What is the status of CloudCompare to be an official Debian package? Could be possible you generate also a Debian Sid package and put it in your web?

Again, thank you very much for your efforts
Romain.Janvier

Post by Romain.Janvier »

Hello,
sorry for the inconvenience, and the late reply. There are debian packages for wheezy in the ArcheOS repo (apt.archeos.eu). It's nearly holidays for me so I will eventually have time to tackle this issue.
Romain