cmake errors on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit

All about Linux portage
vpindarico

cmake errors on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit

Post by vpindarico »

Dear all,

I am trying to build CloudCompare (downloaded today via svn co) on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.

I am following the instructions found in the wiki: http://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/in ... tion_CMake

So I run cmake-gui, set the source and binary code paths, click on the Configure button, and I get the following errors:

CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_FIND_LIBRARY_PREFIXES
CMake Error: Error required internal CMake variable not set, cmake may be not be built correctly.
Missing variable is:
CMAKE_FIND_LIBRARY_SUFFIXES
Warning: QT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE reported QT_INSTALL_LIBS as /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
Warning: But QtCore couldn't be found. Qt must NOT be installed correctly, or it wasn't found for cross compiling.
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindQt4.cmake:594 (MESSAGE):
Could NOT find QtCore. Check
/opt/CloudCompare/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log for more details.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:7 (find_package)

libQtCore.so.4.8.1 _is_ in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu (where cmake says it is looking) together with all its needed links: libQtCore.so.4.8, libQtCore.so.4, libQtCore.so

Any hint will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance
daniel
Site Admin

Re: cmake errors on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit

Post by daniel »

Hi,

it looks just like this bug from the (ubuntu only?) version of CMake. See the answer to this post: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5712 ... make-build.

But if you make the 'Where is the source code' field points to the 'trunk' folder, the CMakeLists file here has already the 'project' almost at the top (so it should be ok...). You can try to place it at the very first line?

Best
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
vpindarico

Post by vpindarico »

Hi Daniel,

I confirm that the trunk/CMakeLists.txt contains a 'project' statement at line 3 while trunk/CC/CMakeLists.txt does not, and making the source code field point to trunk is sufficient to bypass the CMake bug.

After that I went on with Configure, activated some plugins including RANSAC, then Generate, then

$ cd CloudCompare/bin (the directory specified in the 'Where to build the binaries' field)
$ make all

here I had to add
using namespace std;
after the #includes in trunk/qCC/plugins/qRANSAC_SD/RANSAC_SD_orig/solve.cpp to have it compiled; then

$ sudo make install
$ sudo ldconfig

and it works (just tried ccViewer on a XYZ file for now).

Thank you for your help and appreciation for your work!

Daniele (yes same name :))
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll patch the trunk consequently.

In fact I didn't had the time to test qRansacSD on Linux (Schnabel's library is only provided for windows/MSVC). I wonder if it really works even after a successful compilation.

And a few remarks (to make things clearer if someone read this post afterwards):
  • "trunk/CC" is the path to CCLib (the algorithm library only). To compile the main project one must make CMake point to the "trunk" folder only.
  • the plugins are not accessible with ccViewer
Best
Daniel, CloudCompare admin