.PLY Export issues

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
R.Hamlin

.PLY Export issues

Post by R.Hamlin »

Good morning,

I'm currently having issues with the export .ply function in cloud compare. I'm importing a .pts file of a bridge structure which is visible in full density in CC. I'm looking to export this as a .ply for another meshing software however during export the data is reduced to a low density grid (see attachment). I have exported both in binary and ascii formats to no success. I'm running CC v2.9 but have tried previous versions, has anyone had a similar issue with exporting .ply?

Many thanks,
Robert
R.Hamlin

Re: .PLY Export issues

Post by R.Hamlin »

apologies I cannot attach the image of the data as the board attachment quota has been reached.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ok I fixed the quota issue (thanks for the feedback).

And regarding the 'low density' issue, it looks like an issue with the precision. Are the coordinates of your input cloud large? Have you accepted to shift them to a local coordinate system when prompted by CloudCompare? (if not, you should ;).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
R.Hamlin

Post by R.Hamlin »

Morning,

When bringing in the .pts file I've allowed CC to do a coordinate scale and shift. I'm still getting a 'low density', grid of points rather than the full density.
Reduced density after save as .ply
Reduced density after save as .ply
Capture.PNG (79.16 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
R.Hamlin

Post by R.Hamlin »

Hopefully the image will give you a better idea of what the issue is, open to any more suggestions,

Cheers!
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Can you post a snapshot of the Global Shift & Scale dialog?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin