Error opening/ saving bin files in 2.8.

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Error opening/ saving bin files in 2.8.

Post by daniel »

Oh you'll be there? Great.

Debugging with such huge files is almost impossible because of the time it takes... But I'll be able to find better clues, that's for sure.

It would be good to understand what's at stake, but I'm really puzzled since everything is the same (data organization, file size. etc.).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I think I may have found the issue! Can you try the latest online 2.8 beta when you have some time and tell me if the issue is really fixed?
Aarie

Post by Aarie »

Hey Daniel,
thanks for the follow-up. Just tried it again, imported 12 clouds (totaling app. 2,5 billion points) and it loads up fine!
I'll test whether it's possible to merge these and get back to you soon.

For interest sake, you mentioned there is a theoretical size limit of 2 billion points for a single cloud. How come?
Thanks once again.
Cheers!

edit: Merging still leads to a crash.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Internally we use 32 bits unsigned integers to index points, etc. Therefore these indexes are limited to a little bit more than 4 billion. And as we sometimes need to use signed indexes, this range is divided by 2 (-2B; +2B). In the end, CC could theoretically load a cloud above 2 billion points, but it would then likely fail to process it.
Aarie

Post by Aarie »

Ah, thanks for the explanation.
Anyhow, if you need large clouds for testing purposes, I'd be happy to help out.
Cheers!