Crash occurs in 2.7.0 upon opening new files

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
dblandry

Crash occurs in 2.7.0 upon opening new files

Post by dblandry »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but have been using an older version of CC for about 2 years now. I recently saw the newer versions of it so I downloaded 2.7.0 for Windows 10. Now, every time I try to click 'open' from the files tab, I get a message that the program has stopped working. I read that someone had this problem a while back with an older version of CC, but I couldn't find a solution to it.
I have updated the Graphic Drivers and am running Windows 10 Pro, 64bit with NVIDIA Quadro K2200.
Any ideas?
In the meantime, I have gone back to running version 2.6.3 and it seems to be working fine.

Regards,
David
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Crash occurs in 2.7.0 upon opening new files

Post by daniel »

You should install this version then: http://www.cloudcompare.org/release/Clo ... up_x64.exe
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
IndoorMaps

Post by IndoorMaps »

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and ran into the same problem. The newest version of CloudCompare ran fine on Windows 7 with the exact same hardware (i7, H97, MSI R9 280). But the newer versions consistently crashed on start up. Using the pre-2.6.X versions didn't help much either.

I found the cause of CC's instability, at least for my particular system, while troubleshooting Photoshop. It turned out to be the CPU's integrated graphics. The solution? I just unplugged all video cables from the motherboard which connect to the integrated graphics, so that all video goes through the R9 280 video card. Perhaps disabling integrated graphics in BIOS/UEFI could also work, but I haven't tried it. CloudCompare 2.8.1 runs with no problem now.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Some integrated (Intel) cards can indeed make the newest versions of CC crash at startup.

In this cas, one can first try to install newer drivers. And if it's bundled with an NVidia card, you can also simply set this card as being the default card to be used with CC (via the NVidia control panel). I'm not sure if an equivalent option exists for ATI cards.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin